Tonpei Yaki is an western Japanese classic dish especially Osaka/Kyoto. It is very popular order as an appetizer at any Okonomiyaki or teppanyaki store you go. Tonpeiyaki is grilled pork loin with sliced cabbage omelette with Okonomiyaki style sauces and toppings(Japanese mayo and BBQ sauce ) It is ideal high protain low carb dish. In this time I arranged pork shogayaki & Tonpeiyaki fusion dish. This recipe will be one of my popular meal soon.
Here is the video how to cook tonpei yaki
Please subscribe to my youtube channel if you like it.
Serve for one person
Pork loin 150g x 1
3 tablespoons of finely sliced shallots
1/8 cabbage (finely sliced)
Japanese BBQ(Aussie BBQ) sauce
pickled ginger(beni shoga)
Grilled pork sauce(5Table spoons of Konbutsuyu, 1 Tablespoon of honey, 2 tablespoons of grated ginger, 2 tablespoons of sake)
Olive oil(ideally infused garlic)
salt and pepper
- Slice some shallots finely
- Slice 1/8 cabbage finely and slice 3 mushrooms in 5mm
- sprinkle salt and pepper on the pork loin
- Making Pork ginger sauce(add Konbutsuyu, Honey, Sake and grated ginger)
How to cook
- Cook the pork loin in your frypan (3-4 mins each side)
- Pour the pork ginger sauce into your frypan
- Pour oil into new frypan and stir-fry the mushrooms for a minute and add sliced cabbages then cook for a minute.
- Then add some more pork ginger sauce from the pork loin
- Beat 3 eggs and whisk them as if you make a omelette.
- Pour olive oil into other frypan and add the eggs
- Place the pork loin and stir fried cabbages & mushrooms on the egg
- Make an omelette with them.
- Add Japanese BBQ sauce(Australian BBQ sauce is also good), Japanese Mayo, Sliced shallots and pickled ginger on the top
- Cut the omelet and enjoy Tonpeiyaki